The Council of Sections (COS) invites student pharmacists, graduate students, postdocs, residents and fellows at colleges and schools of pharmacy to submit poster abstracts for inclusion in a trainee poster competition at the 2019 Annual Meeting in Chicago, Illinois. In this competition, presentations will be judged onsite by multi-disciplinary teams, and one poster will be recognized in each of the following three categories: best poster by a student pharmacist, best poster by a graduate student, and best poster by a resident, fellow or postdoc. Poster awards will be announced during the Tuesday General Session, and recipients will receive a certificate and cash prize.
Deadline: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 at 11:59 P.M. (PST)
- All abstracts must be submitted by AACP affiliate student members. Faculty members may not submit abstracts on behalf of students. Information to join or renew one’s membership can be found on the AACP website.
- An author may submit only one abstract for consideration in the trainee poster competition. An author who submits more than one abstract in the trainee poster portal will be asked which abstract to withdraw from consideration or move to the research/education poster sessions.
- Works in progress are eligible for participation in the trainee poster competition.
- Authors may submit abstracts for posters that have been presented at another meeting within the last year but are asked to format the abstract according to the guidelines below.
- Abstracts describing human subject research must receive Institutional Review Board approval prior to the submission deadline. IRB approval documentation must be attached to the abstract submission or the submission will be rejected without review.
- Abstracts will be reviewed by members of the Section to which they have been submitted. Please refer to the Trainee Poster Competition Evaluation Criteria when composing your abstract to ensure your project is adequately described.
- Only the submitting author will receive notification of acceptance or rejection after this review process is completed (mid-April). It is the responsibility of the submitting author to communicate this decision to any co-authors. Please do not call AACP to learn the status of your abstract.
- Accepted abstracts will be published in the American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education as submitted.
- Submit only one abstract per form.
All abstracts must be submitted online via the trainee poster competition portal in the Annual Meeting submission portal by Wednesday, February 20, 2019. Abstracts submitted to the research/education portal or the school poster portal within the submission website will not be included in the competition.
- To add or edit an abstract, go to Submit or Edit a Proposal under the Submitter Menu.
- To submit a new proposal, select Submit a Trainee Poster Competition Abstract under the Submit a New Proposal menu.
- Click the Continue Submitting link on the following screen.
- Complete all required (*) fields on the submission page.
- Proposal Title: Type directly into the form or copy the title from an existing word processing document. The title should indicate the nature of the study and may not exceed fifteen words. Do not type in all capital letters; only major words in the title should be capitalized.
- Abstract: Type directly into the form or copy the abstract from an existing word processing document as it will appear in the final format. Tables, symbols, and figures cannot be accommodated. Please refer to the AJPE Author Instructions for more information regarding formatting of the text of your abstract. Please note: The total combined word count of the following four elements must not exceed 250 words:
- Section: Select the Section that best fits with the content of your abstract. Please note: The Section selected will be responsible for reviewing your abstract to determine if it will be accepted for presentation at the meeting.
- Administrative Services
- Biological Sciences
- Continuing Professional Development
- Experiential Education
- Library and Information Science
- Pharmacy Practice
- Social and Administrative Sciences
- Trainee Category: Use the drop-down menu to indicate if you are a student pharmacist, a graduate student, or a resident/fellow/postdoc.
- Human Subject Research: Indicate if your abstract describes human subject research? If you are unsure, please refer to the example human subject research determination worksheet or consult your IRB for further guidance.
- Institutional Review Board: If you answered yes to the previous question, indicate if you received IRB approval or exemption for this work? Please note: If you answered yes to the question above and answer no to this question, your abstract will be rejected without review. If you answer yes to this question, you will be required to submit proof of IRB approval at a later point in the abstract submission process (see step 7).
- Access to Online Poster Session: Indicate if the author(s) will allow a PDF version of the poster to be uploaded to the AACP website and online community which is accessible to 2019 Annual Meeting attendees and AACP members.
- Agreement to Send to Online Poster Session: Indicate if the author(s) acknowledge the deadline to which poster PDFs shall be submitted electronically to AACP in order to upload to the online poster session.
- Select Accept and Continue to advance to the next screen.
- Add author(s) and presenter(s), if necessary, to your abstract:
- To add authors, type in the last name under Add/Search for Author by Last Name and click on Search for Author.
- If the intended author is listed in the AACP member database, their name and contact information will appear under the Choose From List of Authors menu. Select the author by clicking on the appropriate Add Author link under the Action column.
- If, after searching by last name, an author is not currently in the member database, click on Add Unlisted Author link on the bottom left and enter the author's name and contact information.
- The role of Presenter or Author can be switched within the list of authors on the main table under the Role column. As the submitting author, you will be listed as a Presenter by default. Please note: The submitting author must present the poster to be considered for an award. All presenters will be listed as authors in AJPE.
- Verify the names are in the order in which you'd like them published in AJPE. Changes to author order can be made by clicking Up or Down in the Display Order column.
- Select Accept and Continue to advance to the next screen.
- Please review the submitted details on the summary page and edit as needed by clicking the corresponding Edit link to the right of the content you wish to edit. Please note: AACP will not proofread accepted abstracts prior to publication in AJPE. If make edits to your submission, select Accept and Continue to return to the summary screen.
- If your abstract describes human subject research, attach your IRB approval documentation click on the Upload IRB Approval or Exemption Documentation link on the Summary: Individual Submission screen and select the appropriate file to upload. The only accepted document formats are Microsoft Word (except Word 2007), Adobe PDF, Word Perfect, Plain Text, or Rich Text Format (rtf). If you are uncertain of what documentation is needed, please contact Dr. Kirsten Block at email@example.com. Select Accept and Continue to complete your submission. A confirmation message will appear in the submission portal, and an email to confirm the submitted abstract will be sent to the submitting author.
- If your submission does not require proof of IRB approval, select Accept and Continue on the Summary: Individual Submission screen to submit your abstract. No information has been saved by the submission system prior to this point. A confirmation message will appear in the submission portal, and an email to confirm the submitted abstract will be sent to the submitting author.
- You may return to your submission and make changes to it at any time before the submission deadline. It is advised that, if you are submitting IRB documentation with your abstract, you return to your submission and confirm that the appropriate file has been uploaded correctly. AACP will not check submissions for the presence and accuracy of uploaded documentation prior to the submission deadline.
- Accepted abstracts will be presented as posters on Sunday, July 14, 2019.
- Meeting registration and attendance is required for all presenters.
- The student pharmacist, graduate student, postdoc, resident or fellow who submitted the abstract must be present during the poster session to be considered in the competition.
- A co-author who is also a trainee may present in place of the submitting author if the submitting author is unable to attend the meeting. In this case, the trainee co-author who presents the poster will be eligible for an award.
- If no trainee co-author is able to attend the meeting, the poster may be moved to a research/education poster session if a faculty co-author is in attendance and willing to present the poster.
- Audio/visual and/or computers cannot be accommodated during the poster sessions.
- Poster board numbers will be assigned and communicated after acceptance.
- AACP will not produce any handouts. However, authors may provide handouts to give to participants.
- Each poster board measures four feet high by eight feet long. Push pins or Velcro® dots must be supplied by the presenters.
Please direct all inquires to:
Kirsten F. Block, Ph.D.
Associate Director of Research and Graduate Programs
Telephone: 703-739-2330 extension 1042