Competitive programs offering research support, fellowships and other programs for those interested in academic and research careers are available from AACP and other organizations. graduate students, Pharm.D. students, residents, and fellows are eligible to apply to specific programs:
- AACP Walmart Scholars Program: This yearly scholarship program is designed to strengthen the recipient’s skills and commitment to a career in academic pharmacy through their participation at the AACP Annual Meeting.
- American Foundation for Pharmaceutical Education (AFPE) Scholarships and Fellowships: The American Foundation for Pharmaceutical Education offers a number of research grants and fellowships for students in basic, clinical, translational and health outcomes research.
- American Pharmacists Association (APhA) Foundation Incentive Grant Program: The Incentive Grants for Practitioner Innovation in Pharmaceutical Care offer pharmacists, students and community pharmacy residents seed money to implement or support an existing patient care service within their pharmacy practice. Approximately 20 grants are funded each year, and applications are typically due in early September.
- American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) Foundation Pharmacy Practice Research Grants: The ASHP Foundation offers a number of grants to pharmacists of various career stages to advance optimal patient outcomes through the design and study of safe and effective medication-use systems. More information on the application cycle and eligibility for each award can be found on the ASHP Foundation website.
- PhRMA Foundation Awards: The PhRMA Foundation offers a wide range of research grants and fellowships for students, postdoctoral fellows, early career and established faculty. Disciplines supported by PhRMA Foundation awards include Health Outcomes, Informatics, Pharmaceutics, Pharmacology/Toxicology and Translational Medicine and Therapeutics. Application deadlines vary depending on the award.