Competitive programs offering research support, fellowships and other programs for those interested in academic and research careers are available from AACP and other organizations. Graduate students, Pharm.D. students, residents, and fellows are eligible to apply to specific programs:
- AACP Walmart Scholars Program: This discontinued scholarship program was designed to strengthen the recipient’s skills and commitment to a career in academic pharmacy through their participation at the AACP Annual Meeting.
- AFPE-sponsored AACP Social and Administrative Sciences (SAS) Section Research Exchange Mentorship Program Awards: The SAS Research Exchange Mentorship Program is intended to foster interest in research and SAS-related graduate education among P1-P3 student pharmacists by allowing them to complete a research experience with a SAS faculty member outside their home institution. The American Foundation for Pharmaceutical Education (AFPE) provides financial support for selected, highly meritorious program applicants.
- American Foundation for Pharmaceutical Education (AFPE) Scholarships and Fellowships: The American Foundation for Pharmaceutical Education offers a number of research grants and fellowships for students in basic, clinical, translational and health outcomes research.
- American Pharmacists Association (APhA) Foundation Incentive Grant Program: The Incentive Grants for Practitioner Innovation in Pharmaceutical Care offer pharmacists, students and community pharmacy residents seed money to implement or support an existing patient care service within their pharmacy practice. Approximately 20 grants are funded each year, and applications are typically due in early September.
- American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) Foundation Pharmacy Practice Research Grants: The ASHP Foundation offers a number of grants to pharmacists of various career stages to advance optimal patient outcomes through the design and study of safe and effective medication-use systems. More information on the application cycle and eligibility for each award can be found on the ASHP Foundation website.
- PhRMA Foundation Awards: The PhRMA Foundation offers a wide range of research grants and fellowships for predoctoral students, postdoctoral fellows, and early-career faculty conducting research in the areas of drug delivery, drug discovery, translational medicine, and value assessment and health outcomes research. Application deadlines vary depending on the award so please visit the Foundation’s website for more information.
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP) Directory of Residencies, Fellowships & Graduate Programs: In addition to the Graduate Program Directory on the PharmGrad website, ACCP offers a searchable database of residencies, fellowships, and graduate (M.S., Ph.D.) programs.
- American Society of Health System Pharmacists (ASHP) Residency Directory: The residency online directory is a valuable resource to potential residents, residency program directors, and pharmacists listing all ASHP-accredited, candidate, and pre-candidate pharmacy residency programs.