Submit an Application for Cohort 16
Please read the instructions for completing and submitting your application.
Application for Cohort 16 is closed
Return in January 2020 when the cycle for ALFP 2020-2021 Cohort 16 will open
The Academic Leadership Fellows Program supports and contributes to the development of leaders in academic pharmacy and higher education. The program provides an opportunity for Fellows to expand relationships with peers and colleagues in other institutions, as well as within their own college and university. The ALFP curriculum is reviewed annually to ensure content is contemporary and appropriate to the programs leadership objectives.
The four-session, year-long program includes:
- in-depth leadership development;
- team building;
- exploration of legislative and public policy issues critical to pharmaceutical and higher education;
- self and peer assessments;
- group project dealing with entrepreneurship;
- personal and interpersonal competencies for leadership;
- exposure to national and international leaders;
- practical management responsibilities and administrative competencies of an academic pharmacy administrator; and
- leadership in the external arena of advocacy of the profession.
Session I: Leadership and Self: Discovery and Teamwork
Session I sets the tone for the year-long Fellows program. The objective of this session is for Fellows to look within and focus on the self-discovery of leadership strengths and weaknesses; become aware of the strengths and weaknesses of others; understand leadership theory; and maximize personal strengths to develop effective teams. Fellows practice effective team building with the development of an inter-team project.
Session II: Leadership Potpourri: Constructing Skills, Historical Perspectives and Higher Education
The second session of the Fellows program involves further discovery of self and leadership skills building. The importance of the concept of Emotional Intelligence in leadership is introduced. Included is a visit to Mt. Vernon and the George Washing Presidential Library for presentations on leadership from a historical perspective. Session II also provides presentations and interaction with national and international leaders in higher education.
Session III: Creating Self and Current Topics in Leadership and Higher Education
Session III includes an emphasis on leadership integrity and enhancing leadership skills; dealing with challenging situations: the concept of well-being and balancing work and home life; understanding leadership at the accreditation level; and being conscious of diversity and inclusion as a leader. Session III is held in conjunction with Interim Meeting.
Session IV: Refining Self and Current Topics in Leadership
The final session of the year-long program provides the opportunity for the Fellows to exercise their learned experiences and is held on the first day of the AACP Annual Meeting. On their final day, Fellows participate in a summary of the ALFP experience and creating a plan for success. Fellows participate in an exciting presentation from a nationally known expert on body language, verbal and non-verbal communications. In addition, Fellows will receive a presentation on the future of higher education. The day ends with a graduation ceremony and dinner in honor of the Leadership Fellows. Fellows then participate in the AACP Annual Meeting.
2019–2020 ALFP Cohort 16 Calendar
- Session I: September 9–13, 2019, Airlie Conference Center, Warrenton, VA
- Session II: November 3–6, 2019, Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel Arlington, VA
- Session III: February 7–10, 2020, Coinciding with AACP INterim Meeting, San Juan, P.R.
- Session IV: July 18–22, 2020, Concurrent with AACP Annual Meeting, Long Beach, CA