Two Creative Approaches to Integrating Foundational Sciences into Pharmacy Education
Hosted by the Biological Sciences Section
The winners of the Biological Sciences "Excellence in Teaching Award for 2021" will describe their innovative teaching approaches focused on:
- Gamification of team-based learning (TGL).
- Decoding the hidden messages in the top 200 medication trade names.
The presentations will offer lessons on how to adopt similar approaches in other institutions.
- Describe an instructional methodology that harnesses the benefits of team-based learning and game-based learning (TGL).
- Apply TGL in different topics, disciplines, and classroom sizes in pharmacy education.
- Utilize the technique of decoding medication tradenames as a teaching tool to help pharmacy students connect key medication features with their clinical application.
- Apply the decoding of medication tradenames technique to the core areas of patient care: patient education, medication adherence, and minimizing medication errors and adverse events.
Shankar Munusamy, MS (Pharm), PhD
Associate Professor of Pharmacology
Drake University College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
Farid Khalafalla, PhD
Touro University California, College of Education & Health Science
Islam Mohamed, B. Pharm, MS, PhD
Assistant Professor and Interim Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs
Department of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences
California Northstate University College of Pharmacy