Policies and Professional Development for Enhancing Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion at Your College/School of Pharmacy
The virtual Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Institute, co-hosted by the University of Mississippi School of Pharmacy, returns Jan. 24-26, 2024, to help members further advance diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism efforts at their institution and throughout the Association. Institutional teams will have the opportunity to collaborate with other faculty and staff across the Academy to help effectively incorporate and enhance EDI efforts within their policies and professional development plans for faculty, staff, and students.
- Appraise institutional relevant policies for necessary amendments that reflect the SCOTUS affirmative action ruling and other related areas.
- Apply self-care practices which support the DEI practitioner from the lens of the individual (self-development), team and organization leadership and allies.
- Compare and contrast recruitment and retention strategies and policies to advocate for diverse learner and faculty needs.
- Design DEI professional development offerings that align best with learners’ experiences.
- Develop policies and strategies that promote DEI to take back to your home institution.
Build Upon Past Work
Sessions at this year’s Institute will build upon the work of the 2022 and 2023 Institutes, but attendance at either of those sessions is not required to attend.
- A panel of diverse students and faculty sharing their experiences on the importance of enhancing EDI efforts
- Guidance on how to navigate challenges colleges/schools of pharmacy are challenging with the SCOTUS ruling on race-conscious admissions
- Nationally acclaimed speakers sharing perspectives from outside of pharmacy regarding enhancement of EDI efforts including Karla Aghedo, Lawyer and Wellbeing Advocate, and Dr. Poornima Luthra, DEI researcher, scholar, and author.
- Examples of developing or sustaining an EDI professional development program
- Several elective tracks to fit to your interests
Who Should Attend?
AACP encourages any faculty member, administrator, or staff person to attend, including participants at the 2023 EDI Institute. This institute would be particularly impactful for leaders of EDI efforts, leaders of professional development, administrators including associate and CEO deans, and faculty members involved in EDI efforts. There is a special student rate, and we encourage teams to include the perspectives of students! Check out the Institute agenda and FAQs for more information.