Financial Survey Frequently Asked Questions


This page will serve as a resource for those institutions that are completing the annual AACP Financial Survey. Should you have any questions that are not addressed in the FAQs below please e-mail the Office of Institutional Research & Effectiveness. Frequently asked questions will be posted on this page to assist college or school staff members who are completing the survey.

Section I: Operational Income

Should internal scholarships be reported under Operational Expenses?

Scholarships from internal accounts should be reported under Operational Expenses. Scholarships from foundation accounts should not be included in operational expenditures, but should still be included in Question #3 in the Key Questions tab of the survey.

Most of the gift monies that we receive have restrictions associated with their disbursement. Should these grants also be included?

For this question, school's discretion means only that the school makes the decision to spend the funds. Of course gifts are often restricted as to their use. Include those funds for which the college/school makes the decision on the expenditures. For example, with scholarship funds, if the school makes the decision on who receives scholarships these funds would be included here.

The survey requests total funds received directly or indirectly which originate from state funding sources. We do not have any state funding sources. How should we report our data?

Please report allocations from the university in state and campus allocations. Although the funds the college receives are not state funds, they are allocated from the university and belong in this column.

Regarding Section I, our tuition and fees are university funds. From this we receive a portion of the tuition and some of the fees directly and indirectly. How should we report our data?

If the allocation from the university distinguished tuition and fees from other allocated funds please report the amount received, by the college for its use, in the appropriate column (only report the amount allocated to the college and not the total amount of tuition and fee revenue if a portion is retained by the university). 

How should institutions report transfers within funds/transfers out in this survey?

Institutions should not report transfers. It can make year to year comparisons difficult if your institution has a lot of transfers.

Section II: Operational Expenditures

In Section II: Operational Expenditures, do noncapital expenditures include depreciation, amortization, and provision of debt?

Only cash expenditures should be included. Depreciation is not an actual cash expenditure; therefore, do not include those items.

In Section II: Personnel Expenditures, do we only report salaries (not including premiums, awards, and bonuses)?

If the funds for the premiums, awards, bonuses, etc. are part of your college's budget and those funds were reported in the revenue sections then please include them in the salary line. Use the salary figure that is available in your fiscal year-end financial statements--don't spend a lot of time customizing the data for the survey.

Also under Personnel Expenditures, should we include the entire salary of faculty who generate salary recovery/reimbursement, as technically this portion of their salary is funded by a source external to the college?

Please report any funds that pass through your college, regardless of the source. If the external source is paying the individual directly (e.g., the individual receives a separate paycheck from someone outside of your institution), do not include. If the funds come to the college and are expensed on the college's accounts, report the expenditures.

Should we include those research faculty whose salaries are budgeted on clearing accounts as they are entirely charged out to grants? Technically none of these salaries are actually funded by the college, but again, a sponsor or external source?

If you are reporting the funds from the clearing accounts in your revenue then the expenses also need to be reported. If grants are not included in the "college's funds" because of accounting practices at your institution, but those grants are considered to be "yours" (in other words, the Primary Investigator's faculty appointment is in your college) you should include both the revenue and expense, even though it may not be in your college's fiscal year-end financial statements. This would be added to the salaries report.

Under Personnel Expenditures, how should we report APPE payments to preceptors who are technically considered adjunct faculty?

If your paid preceptors are paid as employees, which from your description they are, then you should include the costs in the salary lines. To decide whether they should be in the faculty line or the other salary line consider the following: adjunct faculty who have a title of assistant, associate or full professor - include the costs in faculty salary; otherwise, include them in other salary (e.g. if they are instructors, lecturers, etc.). If your preceptors are paid as vendors, include the cost in non-capital expenditures.

Section III: Key Questions

Our college has some rotations that are paid by another entity; therefore, they are zero cost to our school. Should these rotations be classified as zero cost rotations?

Yes, please report any rotations that your college/school does not directly pay for under the zero cost rotation column.

We have both zero cost and paid rotations in Question #1. Should we include rotations with zero cost in our calculations of average and minimum payments per paid rotation?

No, please only include paid rotations in the minimum and average cost per paid rotation columns. The amount reported in the minimum payment per paid rotation column should be greater than $0.

In Question #3 regarding scholarships, what is considered a scholarship?

A scholarship is cash provided by the school for scholarship purposes that may be funded from the school budget, gifts, endowments, or other school resources.

In Question #3 (scholarships), how do you define central university sources?

Central university sources are any funding sources not controlled by the school that come from the budget office, provost, or academic affairs office. If funding is given to the school and the school controls the management of these funds then they should be considered school funds.