The intent of the Paul R. Dawson Award for Excellence in Patient Care Research is to recognize annually an active scientist within the ranks of pharmacy education as a leader in the broad range of research related to health services delivery directly affecting patient outcomes, including basic, clinical, translational and health services research. Since 2015, the award criteria include all research that has made sustained contributions to the quality of patient outcomes. This award consists of a glass sculpture and a $5,000 prize, and is endowed by Amgen in honor of its former Vice President of Marketing and Sales Paul R. Dawson.
Applications for the Paul R. Dawson Award for Excellence in Patient Care Research are due by 11:59 p.m. PST on Monday, December 4, 2023. Visit the application site to begin the submission process.
- Nominees must hold a faculty appointment with a primary commitment to an AACP member college or school of pharmacy or be within five years of their full retirement from a faculty appointment.
- Nominees must be members of AACP, and have shown a commitment to the Association and mission and objectives of pharmacy education. A nominee’s name may not be submitted posthumously.
- Nominees will be evaluated based on contributions to contemporary teaching and research that have made sustained contributions to the quality of patient outcomes.
- Research and Scholarly Activities: research and creative scholarship relative to the quality of patient outcomes that can be documented in terms of publications (number and type) and grants/contracts.
- Instruction: including, but not limited to, effectiveness in professional and/or graduate instruction; curriculum development and innovation; accomplishments of former students; and honors and awards for excellence in teaching related to the quality of patient outcomes. Contributions beyond the local college level are considered particularly important.
- Other Contributions: activities and recognitions of a varied nature that have a documented impact on the quality of patient outcomes.
AACP's AWARDS AND NOMINATIONS POLICY
AACP’s Board of Directors has adopted a policy affirming AACP’s right to grant, defer or decline to grant an honor or award, including a leadership position, to any person. AACP expects all recipients of honors and awards to embody the highest standards of professional and personal ethical behavior, therefore, AACP will not confer any honor, award or leadership position when, in its discretion, there has been a determination or credible question of unethical behavior.
To implement this policy, AACP is instituting a disclosure process for nominees for the Paul R. Dawson Award. The required disclosure form must be completed, signed and submitted by December 4, 2023 to email@example.com.
- Nominations may be made by any AACP member and are encouraged from faculty members of colleges and schools of pharmacy and from all segments of the Association (e.g., sections, special interest groups, affiliate members).
- The dossier’s contents shall include:
- Cover letter from the nominator summarizing the nominee’s qualifications and commitment to the Association;
- Résumé detailing education, appointments, activities, memberships, awards and honors and other relevant data;
- Contributions to scholarship in the realm of directly impacting the quality of patient outcomes;
- Contributions to instruction in the relevant area; and
- An additional three to five letters of support, including those endorsements from individuals outside of the nominee’s home institution (supporting letters should interpret the impact that the nominee has had on his/her field and pharmacy education).
- The dossier should be submitted online by 11:59 p.m. PST on Monday, December 4, 2023. Materials will then be reviewed by the selection committee once an initial screening is completed.
- Dossiers will be screened for completeness by staff upon receipt. If time permits, staff will notify nominators of missing items. Applications that are incomplete at the deadline for submission will not be evaluated.
- A Paul R. Dawson Award Committee appointed by the AACP president will conduct peer review of nominations in light of the established criteria for the Award.
- At the conclusion of the evaluation process, the committee will forward one name to the AACP Board of Directors for ratification at its spring meeting. In addition, the award committee shall provide to the Board of Directors a short justification for the selected award recipient. The committee may recommend that the Award not be presented in any given year.
Please contact Adam Jackson, Manager of Governance, with any questions.
Past Award Recipients
2023 - Sandra Kane-Gill, Pharm.D.
2022 - Rajender Aparasu, Ph.D.
2021 - William Doucette, Ph.D.
2020 - Betty Chewning, Ph.D.
2019 - Karen S. Hudmon, Dr. P.H.
2018 - S. Suresh Madhavan, Ph.D.
2017 - Eric W. Schmidt, Ph.D.
2016 - Albert I. Wertheimer, Ph.D.
2014 - Anil Gulati, M.D., Ph.D.
2013 - Alexander S. Mankin, Ph.D.
2012 - Tejal A. Desai, Ph.D.
2010 - Harold L. Kohn, Ph.D.
2009 - Rodney J. Ho, Ph.D.
2008 - Laurence H. Hurley, Ph.D.