The Volwiler Research Achievement Award was established as the research prize in academic pharmacy to honor the late Ernest H. Volwiler, former president and research director of Abbott Laboratories. The intent of the Award is to recognize annually an individual within the ranks of pharmacy education recognized by his or her peers as one of the leading research workers in a given area of the pharmaceutical and clinical sciences, pharmacy practice and the social and administrative sciences, and for outstanding contributions to the respective disciplines. This award consists of a gold medal and a $5,000 prize which are presented to the Award winner.
Applications for the Volwiler Research Achievement Award are due by 11:59 p.m. PST on Friday, December 2, 2022. Visit the application site to begin the submission process.
- Nominees must hold a faculty appointment with a primary commitment to an AACP member college or school of pharmacy or be within five years of their full retirement from a faculty appointment.
- Nominees must be members of AACP, and have shown a commitment to the Association and mission and objectives of pharmacy education. A nominee’s name may not be submitted posthumously.
- Nominations must indicate evidence of research and creative scholarship relative to the pharmaceutical and clinical sciences and pharmacy practice and the social and administrative sciences and will be evaluated based upon contributions in the following areas:
- Evidence of research and creative scholarship relative to the respective discipline;
- Impact on a specific area in the respective discipline and pharmaceutical education, in general, including the nominee’s home institution and beyond; and
- Contributions to teaching at both the professional and the graduate student levels.
AACP's AWARDS AND NOMINATIONS POLICY
AACP’s Board of Directors has adopted a policy affirming AACP’s right to grant, defer or decline to grant an honor or award, including a leadership position, to any person. AACP expects all recipients of honors and awards to embody the highest standards of professional and personal ethical behavior, therefore, AACP will not confer any honor, award or leadership position when, in its discretion, there has been a determination or credible question of unethical behavior.
To implement this policy, AACP is instituting a disclosure process for nominees for the Volwiler Research Achievement Award. The required disclosure form must be completed, signed and submitted by December 2, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Nominations may be made by any AACP member and are encouraged from faculty members of colleges of pharmacy and from all segments of the Association (e.g. sections, special interest groups, affiliate members).
- The dossier’s contents shall include:
- Cover letter from the nominator summarizing the nominee’s qualifications and commitment to the Association;
- Résumé detailing education, appointments, activities, memberships, awards and honors and other relevant data;
- A summary statement on behalf of the nominee which puts his or her major research and scholarly accomplishments into perspective in such a way that a person from another discipline can understand and appreciate the significance of the nominee’s contributions (this should not exceed two single spaced pages);
- A summary of the nominee’s contributions to teaching at both the professional and graduate student levels;
- Three publications representative of current research activity; and
- Three to five letters of endorsement, in addition to the original nomination, focusing on the research and scholarly accomplishments of the nominee and the impact that the nominee has had on his or her field and pharmacy education. Two endorsements must come from persons outside the nominee’s home institution.
- The dossier should be submitted online by 11:59 p.m. EST on Friday, December 2, 2022. Materials will then be reviewed by the selection committee once an initial screening is completed.
- Dossiers will be screened for completeness by staff upon receipt. If time permits, staff will notify nominators of missing items. Applications that are incomplete at the deadline for submission will not be evaluated.
- A Volwiler Research Achievement Award Committee appointed by the AACP president will conduct peer review of nominations in light of the established criteria for the award.
- At the conclusion of the evaluation process, the committee will forward one name to the AACP Board of Directors for ratification at its spring meeting. In addition, the award committee will provide to the Board of Directors a short justification for the selected award recipient. The committee may recommend that the Award not be presented in any given year.
Past Award Recipients
- 2022-Marilyn Morris, Ph.D.
- 2021- Carston Wagner, Ph.D.
- 2020 - Kim Brouwer, Ph.D., Pharm.D.
- 2019 - Rodney Ho, Ph.D.
- 2018 - Kathleen M. Giacomini, Ph.D.
- 2017 - Palmer W. Taylor, Ph.D.
- 2016 - Julie A. Johnson, Pharm.D.
- 2015 - Kuo-Hsiung Lee, Ph.D.
- 2014 - John M. Pezzuto, Ph.D.
- 2013 - Gunda I. Georg, Ph.D.
- 2012 - Gene D. Morse, Pharm.D.
- 2011 - Sidney D. Nelson, Ph.D.
- 2010 - Hartmut C. Derendorf, Ph.D.
- 2009 - Duane D. Miller, Ph.D.