Grace and Harold Sewell Memorial Fund Stipends
Stipend Program Administered by the AACP Library and Information Sciences Section (LIS)
Librarians who serve colleges of pharmacy are invited to apply for a travel stipend to Pharmacy Education 2023, AACP’s annual meeting. The meeting will be held July 22-25 in Denver, CO. The stipends are provided by the Grace and Harold Sewell Memorial Fund.
Past stipend recipients report that they developed closer ties to pharmacy faculty, networked with other pharmacy librarians, and learned about new developments in pharmacy education, as a result of attending the AACP annual meeting. The 2022 stipend recipients’ reports are available below.
“The mission of The Grace and Harold Sewell Memorial Fund is to increase librarians’ identification with medical, pharmaceutical, and health care professionals. Librarians experienced in managing knowledge and teaching informatics can supply quality information by becoming ongoing members of the healthcare team. Immersion in the health care environment is necessary for librarians to understand how health care professionals solve problems individually and through consensus.”
- For librarians who have never attended an AACP Annual Meeting, the stipend will cover the meeting registration fee and AACP membership dues for 2021 (if not already an AACP member and if not eligible for complementary AACP membership). The stipend cannot be used to reimburse previously paid dues.
- For librarians who have previously attended an AACP Annual Meeting, the stipend may pay up to 100% of the meeting registration fee for AACP members. The stipend amount for returning librarians depends on the number of applications received and the available funds. If funds are available, returning librarian stipends will be no more than meeting registration fees; AACP dues will not be covered for returning librarians.
Due to the virtual AACP meeting in 2020 and 2021, the priority for awarding the Sewell stipend is provided below:
- 1st priority to 2023 first-time attendees (receive minimum $1000 stipend for meeting registration, travel, and membership)
- 2nd priority to 2021 and 2020 first-time attendees IF they did not attend the in-person 2022 meeting (minimum $1000 stipend for meeting registration and travel)
- 3rd priority to all other returning attendees (amount depends on remaining funds after stipends are given to 1st and 2nd priority recipients)
Recipients of the Sewell Stipend must attend all DILS programs/sessions and visit the LIS posters. In addition, recipients must attend at least 3 other sessions including one plenary/general session for all meeting attendees. Immediately following the meeting, recipients must submit a report (up to 300 words) highlighting their experience at the meeting.
Application deadline is Friday, May 26th. Completed applications and questions should be sent to Sherrill Brown at email@example.com.