Implement – Implementation Science for Transforming Pharmacy Practice and Education
Pharmacy practice and science faculty interested in developing research or scholarship projects to advance practice or curricular transformation are encouraged to join this hands-on workshop that will bring together pharmacy faculty and implementation experts. Through presentations, facilitated discussions and active learning sessions, workshop participants will develop individual competencies in implementation research and learn about necessary institutional capacity for successful implementation. Case studies and facilitated discussions will be used to identify opportunities and challenges in applying implementation science to pharmacy practice and education. A key feature of the workshop will be discussions with expert facilitators on participants own research projects and plans. The workshop schedule can be viewed on the INnovate 2023 programming page.
The Implement workshop anchors the Implementation Science Training Series, consisting of knowledge-based virtual pre- and post-sessions that will introduce basic aspects of implementation science. Virtual session topics include implementation frameworks, theories and models; outcomes and measures, and research methods and data analysis.
What is implementation science?
Implementation science is “the scientific study of methods and strategies to promote adoption of evidence-based practices and interventions into real world settings and routine practice, to improve the quality and effectiveness of services.” (2020–21 AACP Research and Graduate Affairs Committee Report) It has been widely applied in health services and educational research to rigorously study the successful adoption of interventions and identify factors that underlie success and sustainability of new practices and practice models.
- In-person, as a pre-session to the AACP Interim Meeting in Orlando, FL
- Participants will be invited to submit a description of their research project or area of interest for discussion at the workshop
- Participants will receive links to existing resources and training materials in implementation science to prepare for the workshop
Prior to the workshop, participants will be invited to submit a brief proposal regarding their practice or education research projects and/or areas of interest relevant to implementation science, to form the core of project presentations and group discussions. This session will combine peer and expert mentoring and promote the formation of a supportive community of implementation researchers in academic pharmacy.
Pharmacy practice or science faculty interested in developing implementation science research projects to advance their practice or education-based research or scholarship. No prior experience with implementation science is required, but the session will be aimed at those with experience in research, including quality improvement or program evaluation projects. Participants do not need to be AACP members.
The workshop can be attended as a stand-alone event, but individuals interested in developing implementation science research projects are strongly encouraged to also attend the virtual training pre- and post-sessions.
- $450 registration fee
- Each registrant for a virtual session will receive a $25 discount count for registration for the in-person workshop; virtual sessions in spring 2023 will be free for workshop attendees
- Explain the value of implementation research in pharmacy practice and education
- Identify opportunities to apply implementation science to participants’ own research and scholarship in pharmacy practice or education
- Develop participants’ individual competencies in implementation research in the context of pharmacy practice and education
- Build an inclusive implementation science community in academic pharmacy that will promote and support collaborative and team-based training, stakeholder engagement, and practice and research projects that increases equity in health care and education