An Implementation Science Virtual Training Session
Pharmacy practice and science faculty interested in learning about or applying implementation science to advance their practice or education-based research or scholarship are encouraged to attend this interactive, 90-minute virtual session on Thursday, November 3. The session will present implementation science frameworks, theories and models in the context of pharmacy research, using presentation and case discussions to introduce key concepts and engage participants in active learning centered on the design of implementation research and scholarship projects in pharmacy.
- Michelle A Chui, Pharm.D., Ph.D., Professor and Chair of Social & Administrative Sciences, Hammel-Sanders Distinguished Chair in Pharmacy Administration, Director, Sonderegger Research Center for Improved Medication Outcomes, University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Pharmacy
- James H Ford II, PhD, FACHE, LFHIMSS, Associate Professor, Social & Administraive Sciences, University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Pharmacy.
What is implementation science?
Implementation science can be considered to be “the scientific study of methods and strategies to promote adoption of evidence-based practices and interventions into real world settings and routine practice, to improve the quality and effectiveness of services.” (2020–21 AACP Research and Graduate Affairs Committee Report) It has been widely applied in health services and educational research.
What to Expect From This and Future Sessions
This session is the first event in the AACP Implementation Science Training Series that will bring together pharmacy faculty and implementation experts for hands-on, interactive sessions designed to increase individual competencies and institutional capacity in implementation science. A second virtual session on measures and outcomes in implementation research in pharmacy will follow on January 26, 2023, and there will be an in-person workshop, “Implement – Implementation Science for Transforming Pharmacy Practice and Education,” on Saturday, February 18, 2023 as a pre-session to the AACP Interim Meeting in Orlando, FL. Additional virtual sessions on research approach, including data analysis, will follow the workshop in spring 2023.
- 90-minute virtual workshop from 2:00 p.m.–3:30 p.m. ET
- Presentation followed by whole group and small group discussions of case studies drawn from pharmacy practice
- Participants will be directed to online resources on implementation science, including videos and publications, to prepare for the session
This topic is of interest to any pharmacy practice or science faculty member looking to develop their competencies and skills related to implementation science. Participants do not need to be AACP members. No prior experience with implementation science is required, but the session will be aimed at those with experience in research, including quality improvement or program evaluation projects.
- $25 registration fee (whether CE is sought or not)
- The registration fee can be applied as a discount to a full-price registration for the Implement workshop in February 2023.
- At the end of the session, participants will be able to describe a range of theories, models and frameworks in implementation research.
- At the end of the session, participants will be able to identify areas in their research, practice or teaching where implementation science could promote or enhance their research or scholarship.