An Implementation Science Virtual Training Session
Pharmacy practice and science faculty interested in learning about or applying implementation science to advance their practice or education-based research or scholarship are encouraged to attend this interactive, 90-minute virtual session on Thursday, January 26, 2023. Following the first session in the series, on frameworks, theories and models in implementation science, this session will introduce implementation science measures and outcomes relevant to pharmacy research, enabling pharmacy faculty to design measurable outcomes for their own research and scholarship projects in pharmacy practice and education. Both presentation and case discussions will be used to introduce key concepts and engage participants in active learning centered on the design of implementation research and scholarship projects in pharmacy, with attention given to issues related to fidelity in implementation.
- Carrie Blanchard, PharmD, MPH, Immunization Branch Interim Director, Division of Public Health, Epidemiology Section, North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
- Jennifer Bacci, PharmD, MPH, BCACP, Endowed Associate Professor in Innovative Pharmacy Practice , University of Washington School of Pharmacy
What is implementation science?
Implementation science can be considered to be “the scientific study of methods and strategies to promote adoption of evidence-based practices and interventions into real world settings and routine practice, to improve the quality and effectiveness of services.” (2020–21 AACP Research and Graduate Affairs Committee Report) It has been widely applied in health services and educational research.
What to Expect From This and Future Sessions
This session is the second event in the AACP Implementation Science Training Series that brings together pharmacy faculty and implementation experts for hands-on, interactive sessions designed to increase individual competencies and institutional capacity in implementation science. There will be an in-person workshop, “Implement – Implementation Science for Transforming Pharmacy Practice and Education,” on Saturday, February 18, 2023 as a pre-session to the AACP Interim Meeting in Orlando, FL. Additional virtual sessions on research approach, including data analysis, will follow the workshop in spring 2023.
- 90-minute virtual workshop from 12:00 p.m.–1:30 p.m. ET
- Presentation with integrated case discussions followed by whole group and small group discussions of case studies drawn from pharmacy practice and education
- Participants will be provided with materials to prepare for the session, including a recording of the first session in the series
This topic is of interest to any pharmacy practice or science faculty member looking to develop their competencies and skills related to implementation science. Participants do not need to be AACP members. No prior experience with implementation science is required, but the session will be aimed at those with experience in research, including quality improvement or program evaluation projects.
- $25 registration fee (whether CE is sought or not)
- The registration fee can be applied as a discount to a full-price registration for the Implement workshop in February 2023. Those who register for the Implement workshop will receive access to this virtual session at no additional cost.
- At the end of the session, participants will be able to identify implementation outcomes relevant to their practice or education research that matter to their stakeholders, adopters, and implementers.
- At the end of the session, participants will be able to identify implementation measures relevant to an area of their research, practice or teaching consistent with an appropriate implementation framework.